A properly built deck is nothing to look over. Recently in California 6 people sadly died in a deck collapse. Fortunately, for the most part, deck collapses can be avoided by regularly checking and inspecting your deck. Here are a few things to look for:
- Make sure the ledger board is secured to the home with lag bolts
- Test the railing – really push and pull on them (safely of course) to make sure they are secure
- make sure the posts rest on secure concrete footings and not the ground
- Regularly check for wood rot and other issues
- And, of course, be sure to have it properly inspected!