Truss or Rafter?

truss roof system

Truss System

What are trusses? Many times during a home inspection I point out an issue with either a framing issue with a truss system or a rafter system. Many of my clients wan to know the difference, so we have provided some visual aids. The picture to the left is what is called a “truss” roofing system. It is typically framed with 2×4’s and utilize metal plates called “gussets”.



Rafter System

In the picture to the right, we see a rafter system. These are typically framed (depending on the age of the home) with 2×6’s or larger.These have straight runs from the eaves to the ridge and usually have framing members holding them together called “collar ties” and (on a conventionally framed system) “rafter ties”


Questions? Contact me!